Sunday, June 7, 2009

Latest From Texas

I used to have a pretty, ceramic platter, that I would put birdseed in, and a lovely, vintage glass bowl for their water...That lasted about two days. Now, I have a cast iron griddle, and an ugly, plastic dish...We have "critters" with no table manners whatsoever....A bluejay, who thinks it's his personal bathtub (this is shot through the window, so a bit blurry, and yes, that's a deer in our woods), three squirrels, who eat sunflower seeds so fast, that sometimes, they just have to lie down and rest, assorted varieties of birds, an opossem (named Blossem), who visits often...leaving a terrible mess, and a racoon, who is totally nonplussed when one turns on the porch light and says, "go away"..eventually, it ambles off into the night.

Our "Lily of the Nile" is in bloom, and that's very exciting, as the deer eat pretty much everything I plant...they wiped out my Bee Balm (trying to attract bees), but have left this one (actually, two blossems) alone...My mother-in-law, God love her, calls it a "Lily in Denial"




Our first fawn of the season. We've named it "Zoomy", for obvious reasons....now you see him, now you don't...
Thanks to wonderful Lady Bird Johnson, we can enjoy wildflowers all over Texas, and learn and enjoy about wildflower gardening, and gardening in general at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center....

This is an Enole...not sure how to pronouce it, but they seem pretty unafraid...My cat, Raisenette Funicello Buttafuco thinks they are tasty...poor babies.


If I weren't still painting like crazy, I'd get in the car and drive out to The Wildflower Center, as they don't allow deer there....











No comments:

Post a Comment